Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital will expand its Heart Institute with a two-story, $37.6 million addition. This expansion will add 19 additional beds to the Heart Institute to create a 31-bed dedicated Cardiovascular Unit. The hospital will expand west to the corner of Poplar Avenue and Dunlap Street.
“We are proud of the Heart Institute’s growth. This expansion will ensure we will always have room for children who need us, both now and in the future,” said Meri Armour, Le Bonheur President and CEO. “We have some of the country’s best pediatric heart experts at Le Bonheur. They continue to strive for excellence and have dedicated their lives to taking care of kids.”
The expansion will add 10 additional Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit beds to the existing 10-bed unit and create room for an 11-bed step-down cardiac unit. A new MRI-guided hybrid catheterization lab will be added for a total of three catheterization labs.
The Heart Institute at Le Bonheur has grown 15 percent since 2015, adding 19 new cardiologists to handle patient growth. The Heart Institute at Le Bonheur is a U.S. News & World Report Top 10 children’s heart program and has been recognized as an elite pediatric cardiac surgical program for the last three years by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital Heart Institute 2019 Facts
- Two- story, 70,500 square foot expansion
- Expansion will take place on the west side of the hospital, expanding the current building to the corner of Poplar Avenue and Dunlap Street
- Will add 10 additional Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit beds to the existing 10-bed unit (20 total beds)
- Create room for an 11-bed step-down cardiac unit
- Will create a 31-bed dedicated Cardiovascular Unit
- Add a new MRI-guide hybrid catheterization lab
Le Bonheur Heart Institute Facts:
- Le Bonheur’s Heart Institute has grown 15 percent since 2015.
- Continued program growth is expected
- Added 19 new cardiologists since 2015 to handle patient growth
- In 2018, we cared for 387 inpatients
- Recognized as a Top 10 program by U.S. News & World Report in 2018
- Recognized as elite pediatric cardiac surgical program for last three years by Society of Thoracic Surgeons
About Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital
Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., treats children each year through community programs, regional clinics and a 255 bed state-of-the-art hospital. Le Bonheur serves as a primary teaching affiliate for the University Tennessee Health Science Center and trains more than 350 pediatricians and specialists each year. Nationally recognized, Le Bonheur is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a Best Children’s Hospital.
For more information, please call (901) 287-6030 or visit lebonheur.org.