Voter Registration and Consumer Information
Tennessee residents who wish to register to vote may do so by visiting the downtown voting location; or go to www.Shelbyvote.com to find a location nearest you. To vote in elections in the State of Tennessee, one must be registered at least 30 days prior to the election date. Registration forms are available in the Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services. Upon receiving and approving the voter registration application form, the Shelby County Election Commission will assign the individual a voting precinct (where the voter will vote on Election Day based on residence address).
Downtown voting location:
Shelby County Office Building
157 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103
Contact: (901) 545-2600
Voting by Absentee Ballot:
If you are registered to vote in your home county of residence but you are living outside of your home of voter record, or attending a university or college out of state, you may request an absentee ballot from your County Election Commission office (check with your county election office for deadlines). You can also choose to change your county of residence (and spouse if applicable), and register to vote in a different County. This process will cancel your voter registration in the previous county of residence; allowing you to vote in a new County either during the announced early voting period or on Election Day.
Voter Registration applications and other election information may be obtained by visiting the Shelby County Election Commission website. Staff and students can also pick-up voter registration cards in the Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services:
Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services
910 Madison Avenue, Suite 520
Memphis, TN 38163
- You must be a citizen of the United States, (18) years of age or older before the date of the next election.
- You must be a resident of Tennessee. View Guidelines for Determining Residency.
- There are Special Considerations for Homeless Persons Residency and Non-resident Property Owners.
- You must not have been convicted of a felony, or if you have, your full rights of citizenship must have been restored (or you must have received a pardon).
- In order to participate in an election, a qualified voter must be properly registered no later than thirty (30) days before the election. The election commission office will process any by-mail voter registration form that has been postmarked at least thirty (30) days before the election (T.C.A 2-2-109).
In compliance with Title IV and other Federal and State disclosure laws, students may link to the UTHSC Student Right to Know and Consumer Information website located at https://www.uthsc.edu/students/consumer_info.php
You can find out more information on Tennessee voter registration guidelines at the UTHSC voter registration link located at https://uthsc.edu/students/voter_registration.php.