New Beneficiary Designation
In accordance with Policy HR0307 – Benefit in the Event of an Employee Death, the University will provide a benefit payment in the event of the death of a regular university employee who dies while in an active pay status, as defined in Policy HR0105 – Employment Status.
After a successful pilot program last year, a new beneficiary designation function has been added to IRIS Employee Self-Service (ESS) for all regular employees, which eliminates the need to have a paper form completed as well as witnessed and notarized. Regular employees may use this function to designate a beneficiary to receive payment for university benefits. Depending on eligibility, it may include unpaid payroll, annual and sick leave and one month’s salary. It will be paid by the university in accordance with HR0307.
To ensure that the beneficiary is up to date, we are asking all regular employees to complete the beneficiary designation in IRIS.
To access the beneficiary electronic form, log in to the IRIS web portal (https://iris.tennessee.edu/my-iris-web-portal/) and follow the instructions below:
- Click the “Employee Self-Service” icon on the toolbar at the top of the page.
- Click the “Personal Information” header in the center of the page.
NOTE: Be sure to allow pop-ups in your browser and only click the Submit button once for best performance.
- Click the “Beneficiary Electronic Form” in the Personal Profile section.
- Complete the beneficiary electronic form.
- Click “Submit.”
- You will receive a confirmation message at the bottom of the screen after you submit your selection.
- You may select View PDF at the top of the page to print a copy for your records before you click submit.
Please note that changing your university beneficiary DOES NOT change your beneficiary on your life insurance or retirement.
Beneficiaries for these plans must be changed at the links below:
Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System
Optional Retirement Program and 403(b) Plans
Life Insurance – (Voluntary Term Life)
(BasicTermLife) – complete and return to
Please contact your local Human Resources Office or email@example.com with any questions.