Recently the Office of Institutional Compliance was notified that paper containing identifiable information (social security numbers, patient information, etc.) had been placed in the campus Recycle Bins. Please remember that any document that contains identifiable information SHOULD NEVER be placed in Recycle Bins. Identifiable information is information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person, or to identify an individual in context. Examples of identifiable information are:
- Name and other names used (such as alias, nickname, etc.);
- Social Security number;
- Driver’s license and other identification numbers;
- Citizenship, legal status, gender, race/ethnicity;
- Birth date or place of birth;
- Home and personal cell telephone numbers;
- Personal email address, mailing and home address;
- Religious preference;
- Security clearance;
- Mother’s middle and maiden names;
- Spouse information, marital status, child information, emergency contact information;
- Biometrics (such as birthmark, scar, tattoo, etc.);
- Financial information, medical information, disability information;
- Law enforcement information, employment information, educational information; and
- Military records.
Paper items containing any of the above information should be placed in the SHREDDER BINS. The campus provides a shredding service for this purpose. If you do not have access to a Shredder Bin, please contact Cintas at (901) 794-9495. Cintas provides this service for a nominal pickup fee.
Please ensure that all employees within your department are made aware of this information. If you have any questions, please contact Kmily Manns, Compliance and Privacy Officer, Office of Compliance and Special Projects at (901) 448-8469; fax (901) 448-2182; email firstname.lastname@example.org.