The use of technology and social media provides a quick and easy way to connect with others. Unfortunately, activities like updating your Facebook status, tweeting, or using your phone’s GPS can be used by abusers to stalk, harass, and gain control of your life.
To protect yourself:
- Review your privacy settings on social media sites
- Disable geotagging to prevent sharing of your location over social media through photos, status updates, tweets, and other media
- Be thoughtful about sharing personal information over social media
- Be discreet about your whereabouts
- Use strong passwords that are long and random, to avoid access by an abuser
For more information on stalking and technology, click the link below.
If you are experiencing stalking or would like more information, please see the resources below:
Title IX Coordinator 901.448.2112
UTHSC Campus Police Department 901.448.4444
Counseling support and assistance is available:
Students: SASSI – 901.448.5056 After hours: 901.690.2273
Employees: 855.437.3486 available 24 hours a day