Available October 17 – October 23, 2022
Link to presentation: https://mondaymorningmentors.com
The traditional grading framework can be flawed—in fact research shows that it does not incentivize student learning. Fortunately, regardless of the type of class being taught, ungrading is a solution for everyone, allowing students to better close the loop on their learning. But what is ungrading?
This 20-Minute Mentor introduces the concept of ungrading and provides some big picture examples of how ungrading works in different types of courses, including STEM courses. The expert presenter will explain the problems and drawbacks of a traditional grading framework and how ungrading can overcome them. Additionally, the presenter will demonstrate strategies for implementing ungrading in a classroom including ways to get students onboard, how to incentivize students, and how to determine summary grades at the end of the semester.
After viewing this Magna 20-Minute Mentor, participants will be able to:
- Describe certain issues with a traditional grading framework
- Define ungrading and its benefits
- Determine a variety of ways that ungrading may fit into a course
- The challenges of a traditional grading framework
- The advantages of ungrading for both students and educators
- How to implement ungrading in your classroom