How Do I Create Social Presence in My Online Classes?
No computer monitor won Teacher of the Year.
One of the things that makes traditional classroom learning so effective is social presence. Your students can see you, know you, and connect with you – and vice versa. They can connect with one another, too, building a sense of belonging and an impressive group dynamic.
Social presence is just as important in online teaching – maybe even more so. The way you go about establishing it is quite a bit different, however.
Learn the tools and techniques for successfully building social presence online in this eye-opening 20-Minute Mentor.
You’ll find helpful, use-it-now information at every turn, as the presenter delivers insights on:
- Why social presence matters
- When to start cultivating it (sooner than you think!)
- How to handle online introductions
- How videos can be critical social tools and why you don’t have to be a “star” to use them
- Which early icebreakers and team builders are most effective
- How to give prompt, meaningful feedback
- How to use your syllabus to promote interaction among students
- Which “office hours” policies are best for online students
- How to use assignments to boost engagement
- When to use your phone – as an actual phone