November 15, 2014
The Senior UTHSC dental students, under dental faculty supervision, at the UT College of Dentistry will be conducting screenings (consisting of x-rays, paperwork, and a limited exam) to find patients for the regional dental board exam. We are looking for VERY SPECIFIC types of cavities. If after the screening in November, we find that you have the specific type of cavities that the students need for their exam, you may be eligible to receive free dental treatment on the day of the board exam as compensation for your time.
If eligible, you will be asked to come for treatment on Friday December 5th or Saturday December 6th , or both to be a patient for the dental exam. Please be sure you would be available on at least one of these dates before coming to screening. In order to be accepted, you must be available on one of these dated from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, November 15th at 8:00 a.m.
Do not be late: If you arrive after 8:30 a.m., you will not be seen.
(Please allow time for parking)
UT College of Dentistry
Dunn Dental Building
875 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38163
You must have an appointment in advance to be screened. Call (901) 448-2202 or (901) 448-6143 to make your appointment.
The Dental School is located in downtown Memphis near The Regional Med hospital. Parking is available on the south side parking lot connected to the dental school. When entering from the front entrance, you will find the information desk and waiting area. Students will be on hand to help direct you.
If you do not have an appointment in advance, YOU WILL NOT BE SEEN.
Because the board exam has VERY strict criteria for patients, we cannot see you unless you meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 14 years old. Anyone between the ages of 14-18 must have a parent or legal guardian with them at all times to give consent.
- You must have the majority of your teeth (a few missing and/or if you wear a partial denture is OK as long as you have the majority of your teeth)
- You cannot be an insulin dependent Diabetic
- You cannot have a Latex allergy
- You cannot be pregnant
- You cannot have active Tuberculosis (productive cough, chest pain, coughing up blood)
- You cannot have had a heart attack, stroke or cardiac surgery within the last six (6) months
- You cannot have had intravenous bisphosphonate therapy for bone cancer or severe osteoporosis
Patients who are not accepted for the board exam will be given the UT College of Dentistry patient information and will need to go through the normal screening process in order to receive future dental care at the school.
Due to the large number of responses, we will not be able to respond to all of your questions on an individual basis. If you think you meet the criteria above, call (901) 448-2202 or (901) 448-6143 to make an appointment.