UTHSC 2014 Campus Food Drive
Nov. 3rd through Dec. 1st
The UT Health Science Center (UTHSC) is excited to launch its 7th Annual Campus Food Drive. It will last through the month of November. All donated food, paper products and money will be gathered and delivered to the Mid-South Food Bank on Monday, December 1, 2014. The Annual Action News Channel 5 Holiday Food Drive is scheduled for Wednesday, December 3, 2014.
The Mid-South Food Bank is facing a severe food shortage and it needs our help. According to its website (www.midsouthfoodbank.org), “a large percent of the population has experienced food insecurity or hunger in the last 12 months. That’s more than 400,000 people. Of that large percentage, 30 percent have incomes above the level that qualifies for food stamps. They make too much money for food stamps, but still struggle to feed themselves or their families.”
The Mid-South Food Bank provides food for an estimated 230,000 people annually. About 23,000 people receive food assistance every week. Nearly 94,000 unique households are served annually. Thirteen percent of households have no income, 51 percent have incomes of less than $10,000, 20 percent have incomes between $10,000 and $20,000 a year, and 75 percent of households have incomes that fall at or below the federal poverty level.
Due to natural disasters, high unemployment, and the overall economic climate, the number of people in need continues to increase. Here is a highlight of those who are served by the Mid-South Food Bank. Through our donations the UT Health Science Center will be helping a wide variety of people in need.
The Mid-South Food Bank:
- serves the hungry in 31 counties, including 12 counties in Tennessee, one in Arkansas, and 18 in Mississippi.
- benefits numerous charitable feeding programs, such as the Boys and Girls Club, Neighborhood Christian Center and the Salvation Army
- turns a donated $1 into three (3) adult meals.
Assisting the Mid-South Food Bank, which is located a few blocks away from UT Health Science Center on South Dudley Street, allows UTHSC to reinforce our commitment to our mission of improving health through public service. We encourage each employee and student to bring a bag of food for the campus food drive.
Last year, the UTHSC campus collected more than 5,500 pounds of food, supplies and monetary donations, creating 4,500 adult meals for those who were hungry. With your help, we know we can make a difference again this year.
Drop Box locations
Drop-off boxes have been strategically located throughout the campus. Look for boxes in the following buildings:
- 910 Madison Building, Suite 722 – (Barbara Patton, 448-5600)
- 920 Madison Building, Suite 807 – (Felicia Washington, 448-4465)
- 920 Madison Building, Suite 1050 – (Ramona Jackson, 448-4465)
- 930 Madison Building, Suite 600 – (Linda Johnson, 488-2042)
- Alexander Building, 7th Floor Lobby – (Gail Perry, 448-5841)
- Campus Police, Squad Room – (Officer Veronica Jones, 448-4444)
- Cancer Research Building, Room 152 – (Andrea Briggs, 448-4800)
- Coleman Building, Room D328 – (Gail House, 448-4630)
- Dunn Dental, Suite S102 – (Brenda Scott, 448-1285)
- Facilities, 1st Floor – (Stanley Tyler, 448-5661)
- General Education Building (GEB), 1st Floor, adjacent to Campus Police Booth – (Carol Mason, 448-6464)
- Hyman Building, Suite 300 – (Jackie McClarin, 448-8740)
- Pauline Building, Suite 633 – (Barbara Jerden, 448-6339)
- Pharmacy Building, Suite 226 – (Jason Holloway, 448-6802)
- Student Alumni Center (SAC), Suite 300 – (Elise Moore, 448-5618)
- Items Needed the Most: (Please no glass containers)
- ALL monetary donations (pocket change, cash and checks payable to: Mid-South Food Bank)
- Canned meats
- Chili, stew and soups
- Chicken and dumplings
- Peanut butter
- Canned fruits
- Canned vegetables
- Canned 100-percent juices
- Canned milk
- Other Needed Non-food Items:
- Paper towels, plates, napkins, cups, plastic utensils
- Toilet paper
- Laundry and dish soap
- Personal care items: toothpaste, shampoo, soap and deodorant
Monetary donations are also accepted (if donating via check, please make the check payable to: The Mid-South Food Bank). Those who prefer to make this kind of contribution should contact the food drive representative in their building or go online to www.midsouthfoodbank.org . If money is donated online, please enter email@example.com the e-mail (so UTHSC’s contributions can be tracked collectively).